Safety in Tunnels
Safety in Sydney’s major road tunnels (PDF Document, 2.29MB)
Height limits, road grades, dangerous goods, on/off ramps (PDF Document, 260KB)
Sydney’s road tunnels are built to strict safety standards.
To minimise the risk to motorists in the unlikely event of a serious incident, the M5 East has safety features that include:
- Emergency broadcasts through your vehicle’s radio and/or a public address system.
- Electronic message boards to deliver important safety messages.
- Identified emergency exits.
- Flashing lights to guide you to emergency exits.
- Emergency phones to connect you with the tunnel control room.
- Fire extinguishers and emergency phones located at least every 60 metres.
- Deluge water sprays or sprinklers for use in a fire.
- Emergency barriers at tunnel entry points to stop vehicles driving into a hazardous situation.
- 24 hour monitoring via Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras and incident response teams on stand-by.
More information about safety in Sydney’s major road tunnels is available from the Roads and Maritime Website, click here.