Maintenance Update – JUNE 2014
The M5 East Freeway was closed for scheduled, essential night time maintenance work from the 15/06/2014 – 18/06/2014.
During this closure period, Leighton Contractors Pty Limited, on behalf NSW Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) completed all planned, preventative and corrective works. Various planned maintenance activities such as landscaping works, street sweeping, debris removal and cleaning activities took place as part of the extensive freeway maintenance schedule.
The main activities carried out during the June closure period included:
- Reinstallation of Supply Fan 63 at the Duff St clean air intake facility
- 5 yearly deluge valve inspection on the in tunnel fire sprinkler system
- Maintenance to Cooks River Tunnel deluge values
- 6 monthly diversion valve inspections
- Jet fan cable route inspections
- Maintenance of in tunnel air conditioning systems
- Installation of steel reinforcement beams at Pump Pit 1
- Zoom repairs to motorway CCTV cameras
- Cleaning of in tunnel monitoring cameras
- Lighting repairs and replacement of fluro tubes within the M5 East main tunnel
- Installation of a new pH sensor at pump pit 2
- Sump pump reinstallation at pump pit 2
- Numerous Wall panel repairs
- Maintenance to in tunnel fire rated sliding doors within the Cooks River Tunnel
- Final stages of the epoxy protective coating works completed westbound within the Cooks River Tunnel.
- Removal and reinstallation of sprinkler pipes within the Cooks River Tunnel
- Installation of modulating exhaust dampers in the Turrella exhaust shaft
Other planned maintenance activities also conducted during this closure included:
- Emptying of drainage trash racks eastbound and westbound along the M5 East
- Landscaping works including grass cutting, tree trimming and weed management
- Road sweeping
- Washing of in tunnel wall panels and west bound heavy vehicle inspection bay.