Maintenance Work Update – MARCH 2014
The M5 East Freeway was closed for scheduled, essential night time maintenance work from the 16/03/2014 – 19/03/2014.
During this closure period, Leighton Contractors Pty Limited, on behalf NSW Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) completed all planned, preventative and corrective works. Various planned maintenance activities such as pit inspections, street sweeping, landscaping works and cleaning activities took place as part of the extensive freeway maintenance schedule.
The main activities carried out during the March closure period included:
- Cleaning out debris and sediment from storm water pits throughout the main tunnel and along the freeway
- Replacing the door located at the modulating exhaust damper
- Replacing fire proof doors at the Sewage Pit Pump and Cooks River Tunnel.
- Maintenance of traffic control cameras along the M5 East Freeway
- Remedial works to leaks within the main tunnel
- Repairing of in-tunnel wall panels
- Annual inspection of the variable speed limit instruments
- 6 monthly inspections of the in-tunnel air quality sensors.
- Replacement of the air quality sensor located at the Bexley Road west-bound exit
- Detailed inspection of jet fan 130.
- Light pole replaced at King Georges Road on-ramp following damage from a vehicle collision
- Monthly inspection of air conditioning equipment in the electrical equipment rooms
- Ongoing maintenance works at the tension pile pit westbound, immediately adjacent to the Cooks River Tunnel
- Reinstallation and commissioning of Jet Fan 301 and 101 following recent over-height incidents
- Vibration analysis and greasing of east-bound main tunnel jet fans and western cross over fan
- Inspection and maintenance check of pump pits
- Inspections of modulating exhaust dampers
- Over height barrier inspection
- Replacement of Sump Pump 5
- Tuning and maintenance of Tunnel Message Signs
Other planned maintenance activities also conducted during this closure included:
- Emptying of in-tunnel drainage trash racks
- Street sweeping
- Washing of tunnel wall panels
- Landscaping works including grass and hedge cutting, batter mowing and tree trimming